Saturday, March 24, 2018

Xeen playthrough in progress

The Xeen playthrough is finally in progress, having been restarted last night. And by the time I went to work this morning, the first town of Clouds, Vertigo, was completable. Huzzah. \o/. I did identify and fix some further problems, such as armor not equipping, reading the note in the Vertigo warehouse, and getting the experience from the mayor. Next stop will be the Dwarf Mines, which I don't anticipate having much, if any, problems. Particularly since I've done some previous testing in them, though I've not yet been beyond the first level.

This is a good omen for completing the rest of the game. Particularly given the amount of care I've already given to fixing bugs I'd introduced in my reimplementation of the combat system. And the fact that all the various towns share the same code base for implementing the different tavern, guild, etc. locations. I'm expecting/hoping that the rest of the game will be straightforward. Indeed, most of the fixes I did last night were fairly straightforward to fix once I'd identified the bugs in question.

Of course, it's been years since I played the game, and honestly I only really remember some of the highlights of the Dark Side. So this playthrough will be a chance to re-experience the games once again. And my unfamiliarity will ensure I go poking into every nook and cranny. Though the downside is that I may not notice minor things not working, such as searching specific locations not giving the expected items, monsters, or loot. Once I've finished my first playthrough, hopefully some more experienced Xeen players can be enticed to play through the game as well.

Well, better get back to work. It may be Friday, but I still have the entirety of the work day to get through before I can get back to my playtesting :)

No comments: